Business Plan Guide
Structuring your business plan. Here is what you need to consider.
|Section||What to include or consider|
|Cover or title page||· Name of business
· Business registration number (if available)
· Contact details (telephone, email and website address
· Date of preparation
|Contents page||· Table of contents
· Number your pages
· Consider adding a version control. This will help you identify the latest version of your business plan
|Executive summary||· Purpose of the business plan
· Brief highlights of the plan
· Brief description of your business (product or service)
· Summary of your key management team
· Summary of the marketing strategy
· Summary of the funding requirements:
· The amount of funds required
· The source of the funds (debt, equity, grants)
· How will the funds will be used?
· How will the fund be repaid?
· Key projected operating results
|Industry analysis||· A description of the industry in which your business will operate
· Where has the industry come from?
· Where is the industry now?
· Where is the industry going? What are the trends and future prospects?
|SWOT analysis||· What are the strengths?
· What are the weaknesses?
· What are the opportunities?
· What are the threats?
|Your business||· What business are you in?
· What products and/ or services will you sell?
· General description of your business
· What is your competitive advantage?
· Where will your business be located and why?
· What is the performance and financial position of your business to date?
|The stated aims of your business||· Your business vision
· Your business mission
· The need that your business will seek to satisfy
|Your management team||· Key people involved
· Roles, responsibilities and background
· Formal qualifications required
· Key advisors to your business
· Strategic alliances
|Market analysis||· Description of marketplace
· Past, present and future trends
· Size of the market
· Analysis of customer groups and their needs, wants, preferences, characteristics and buying habits
· Assessment of the direct and indirect competition. What are the strengths and weaknesses of your competition?
· A forecast of your sales and estimated market share
|Marketing Plan||· What is your target market?
· What will be your marketing strategy?
· How are you going to position your products?
· How will your products be distributed? What distribution channels are you going to use?
· How will you set the pricing for your products? What pricing strategy are you going to use
|Organisational plan||· Provide an organogram for your business
· Provide a manpower plan or forecast
· What are the staffing needs?
· What training is required?
|Operating plan||· How will the day to day operations of your business be carried out?
· Requirements for property, plant and equipment
· Scheduling of workflow
· Quality control systems
· Management Information System
· Enterprise resource planning
|Financial plan||· Historical financial information, where available, for the past 3 years
· Business viability and timeline for profitability
· Business capital needs
· Property, plant and equipment/ CAPEX/ Fixed Assets
· Working capital
· Start – up capital
· Break-even analysis
· Funding mix
· Debt funding
· Equity funding
· Grant funding
· Budgets taking into consideration the planned sales, expenses
· Taxation assumptions
· Debt reduction and repayment plan
· Financial projections
· Assumptions for the underlying projections
· Statement of financial performance projections
· Statement of financial position projections
· Cash flow projections
· Key financial ratios
· Profitability ratios
· Liquidity ratios
· Efficiency ratios
· Solvency ratios
|Action plan||· Timelines for implementing the key elements of the plan|
|Appendices||· Documents to support the business plan
· Appendices can include:
· Certificate of incorporation
· Market research results
· Resumes of key personnel
· Technical drawings